Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Letter to Maman-Nainaine


If you have read the short story "Ripe Figs" by Kate Chopin, you may enjoy this creative writing piece that I had to do for my AP Language an Composition course! I had to pretend that Babette was writing to Maman-Nainaine while she was staying at her cousins house. If you have not read "Ripe Figs" copy and paste this link (http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/kchopin/bl-kchop-ripefigs.htm) and then read this...





My Dear Maman-Nainaine,
              Since my departure to Bayou-Lafourche to stay with my dear cousins, I have missed you terribly. Though, during my stay here, so far, it has been a wonderful experience, as it always is with my cousins and Tante Frosine. I am well, and I cannot wait to hear how you are faring, as I am always inquiring about your well-fare to whoever may know. These summer days have been filled with adventure and intrigue. Last week, the dog, Garcon, caught a bird and it was quite a fiasco trying to calm the younger ones, for they could not stop speaking of the incident or the dog and bird of which the incident included. Many interesting happenings like this one have occurred, and I anticipate many more. Nothing is ever dull in Bayou-Lafourche and I enjoy the excitement.
            I must let you know that your lesson about the figs ripening has been on my mind incessantly. My sweet Maman-Nainaine, your wisdom goes beyond my miniscule understanding, but this last morsel of wisdom you have bestowed upon me has made a lasting impression. I am more often than not noticing my impatient nature, and I desire to be more like you. I see your patience, your stateliness, your generosity, and your understanding and I have decided that I will aspire to be like you and to have your characteristics all of my days, for I believe that because of these attributes, your very countenance is calming and inviting. I fear my impatience, my indignity, my greed, and my impudence have made me most unlike you, but these are characteristics that can be and will be changed. I will endeavor to change these things, as they are unladylike and inhospitable. You are my model, Maman-Nainaine, and I hope you know how much I try and hope to be like you.
            The figs continue to grow and they constantly remind me of you and your care of me. They came early and still thrive, which quite impresses me! I would think that because of their early arrival, their departure would also be premature, but alas, they continue to flourish! Their persistence and determination are quite familiar as they bring to remembrance a sweet old lady that is dear to me. I must say, your decision to make me wait to come to Bayou-Lafourche until the figs were ripe was very wise, indeed, as the weather here is now nearly perfect, when before it was not as pleasant and would have been quite boring, in my opinion. Next year, I shall try to be more patient than last for the figs to ripen, for I see the reward now before my eyes. Though, I am extremely thankful that the figs ripened when they did, for I fear my patience would not have lasted much longer. It must have been the grace of our dear Lord that made them ripen at that exact moment in time.
            Oh, Maman-Nainaine, I do miss you so. I cannot wait to hear from you! I’m sure you have much to say about the happenings at home. I hope the weather has been kind to you and your health. I want to see your new trays and furnishings that I am sure you have bought by now, as it is near the time that your yearly shopping takes place. Do tell me about your new pretty things! I hope you are not too lonely in that grand house of yours. You must get a dog or a cat or some kind of animal as a companion for when I am not there. I can’t imagine you being alone in that dark place. As lovely as it is, it must feel very empty without my constant conversation and your attentive listening. I’m sure you have found ways to occupy yourself. Tell me how your knitting and quilts are coming along. Any news from town, recently? I wonder, are the figs still growing near you, as they are here?
            As to my lovely cousins, they are all fine and keep themselves busy with many adventures and get themselves in trouble constantly with Tante Frosine. Do not worry, Maman-Nainaine, I take no part in their mischievousness, at least, not all the time. I often help Tante Frosine, who has taken ill recently and has a hard time with the children. The responsibility has fallen on me a bit, but I actually take pleasure in it. It gives me something to do, and it is very entertaining. It is not very hard work, at all. Well, I must close now, as dinner is fast approaching and I must help Tante Frosine prepare it. I await your reply!


Your dearest goddaughter,
Babette

No comments:

Post a Comment